RE: Helmet Stuff

"Lin, Gary" <Gary.Lin@domain.elided> wrote:
>A tip, depending on your needs (ex: CCA), I prefer to buy a previous year
>certification (90) at sometimes less than half the price of a current one
>(95), and after getting it smelly stinky replace it new in 5 years with the
>next cert. rather than keeping a (95) longer.

Many organizations, like Snell, recommend replacing your helmet every five
years.  In the Snell faq at <http://www.smf.org/faqs.html>, they say:
- ----------
Q10: Why replace helmet every five years?
The five year replacement recommendation is a consensus position from both
the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Outgassing of glues
which can dissolve liner material, general liner detoriation as a function
of hair oils, and body fluids, and normal "wear and tear" all contribute to
helmet degradation. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a
noticable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a
five year period. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement
is a judgement call stemming from prudent safety philosophy.
- ----------

Helpful hint for the day - when your helmet gets so sweaty and icky that
putting it on is like sliding your head inside a very dead animal, there
are several things you can do instead of chucking it for a new one:

1.  Many motorcycle or racing supply places either have a cleaning service
or can point you to a place that can clean your helmet.  Be sure that the
place has experience, though - I've heard reports of Snell certification
stickers coming off, which will make it fail tech unless you send it back
to the manufacturer or to Snell for recertification.

2.  Someone on an autox list suggested using baby butt wipes (unused ones,
of course!) to clean off the sweat and grime.

3.  Someone else on team.net recommends removing all removable pads, then
totally immersing the helmet in water with Woolite or helmet liner cleaner.
 While immersed, gently squoosh the water through all the pads, the lining,
etc.  Don't brush, unless you want the liner to get fuzzy.  Rinse the
helmet using the same method in several changes of clean water.  When
you're done, gently press out as much water as possible, and let dry.  I
did this to my helmet, and it took three or four days to fully dry.  You
can also turn on your oven really low for a few minutes, then turn it off
and put your helmet (without visor) in there overnight.  Make sure that the
oven is just kind of warm (in other words, not hot!).  Big drawback - if
you've cooked something really yummy before you dry your helmet, you might
end up drooling uncontrollably in the middle of your autocross run...

Hope this helps,

Jim "Top that, Martha Stewart!" Ochi
jochi@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #367