advice needed - dealer svc. dept.

I need advice for the following problem...

I will keep this brief.
6 months ago I brought my 318iS (out of warranty) in to a BMW dealer service
dept.  The airconditioner was not working.  So far the car has been back to
the same dealer 3 times, roughly every 2 months which is when the AC stops
working.  I have paid the service dept, $1800.00 so far for the replacement of
various parts. Each time they replace parts they recharge the system, and then
2 months later the AC no longer works.
The last time I brought the car in I was quoted a price of $1400.00 to replace
yet another part.  I declined the work.

Is it normal for the service dept to just replace parts until they luck out
and find the responsible component or am I being taken?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with advice on how to handle this

Thanks!