re:advice needed - dealer svc. dept.

>Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:26:30 EDT
>From: PatinageNY@domain.elided
>Subject: advice needed - dealer svc. dept.

>I need advice for the following problem...

>I will keep this brief.
>6 months ago I brought my 318iS (out of warranty) in to a BMW dealer
>service
>dept.  The airconditioner was not working.  So far the car has been
>back to
>the same dealer 3 times, roughly every 2 months which is when the AC
>stops
>working.  I have paid the service dept, $1800.00 so far for the
>replacement of
>various parts. Each time they replace parts they recharge the system,
>and then
>2 months later the AC no longer works.
>The last time I brought the car in I was quoted a price of $1400.00 >to
replace
>yet another part.  I declined the work.

>Is it normal for the service dept to just replace parts until they
>luck out
>and find the responsible component or am I being taken?

>I would appreciate hearing from anyone with advice on how to handle
>this

>Thanks!

I would suggest calling the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and
explain your situation to them.  Keep in mind specifically what you want
out of the deal; i.e. fixing the problem for good with a one year
warranty at no additional charge.  I have used them twice and had
received satisfaction both times.  The dealers jump through hoops when
the BAR is pressuring them.  Since you have already spent a great deal
of money on a recurring problem, I think you have a great chance of
getting satisfaction out of this deal.  You might even want to ask for
some money back after they fix the REAL problem!  The BAR is in the
government section of your yellow pages.  Good luck!!

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e
'90 Chevy Silverado