Pulling an 02 tii engine

<<<<<<Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:04:45 -0400
From: Patrick Van de Wille <patrickv@domain.elided>
Subject: Pulling an 02 tii engine

Anybody out there have any tech-style articles or manuals that would detail
the procedure of pulling an engine out of a 72 02 tii? Or maybe a pointer
to a tech FAQ that would explain it or give some valuable hints? I've read
the Haynes manual, and I'm telling myself that it can't possibly be that
simple, and I don't want to find this out in a couple of weeks when I've
got the chains around the thing and can't get it out...>>>>>>>>>

Compared to other extractions (sunbeam Tiger comes to mind) its pretty
simple. I would pull the rad and the front pulley to get more clearance on
the front, and the distributor on the back. Its easier without the
transmission, but then mating the engine back up to the trans in the car can
be a challenge. I suggest you get one of those crank operated lifting
brackets that allow you to change the angle of the engine while lifting up
(Princess Auto Supply -  are they in Mtl yet??). Support the trans from
underneath, disconnect all the usual wires, pipes,etc., lift up a bit off
the mounts , pull forward to split from trans input shaft, then up and out -
usually turned and tilted. I f you opt to leave the trans connected, you
will need more lift height. Lift up  and gradually adjust angle to about
45deg . when trans tail is almost at top of fenders, roll car back or engine
forward and lift/swing tail over fenders - I've used board across the
fenders to slide the tail out . This requires helpers. Engine alone can be
done solo. Definitely a six Ex job. Call me if you need more info.