cheap cars

I would also recomend looking at audi.  Assuming you went a midsize car,
take a look at like an ~85-87 4000CS quattro.  Great cars.  5cylinder
engine, unbelievable car for the winter, ample power, and many amenities
such as power windows, sunroof heated seats, highline automobile that can
really be had for a good price.  The 5000 turbo quattro's are great, but
are much bigger and a nice one will be more expensive.   The turbo quattro
coupe of the early eighties someone mentioned are very hard to find, and
most people have these cars in mint condition and sell for 10grand or more.
 You may be able to move up to an '88-'89 model 80 quattro which I used to
drive, great little car, much more modern looking than the 4000.  Can't
think of anything else, the early bimmers were already mentioned, just the
Audi quattro's, I can't emphasize enough how great the quattro system is.
It makes the car really safe and solid and its just a great car.  The car
just grips the road unbelievably, and solid as a rock.

Michael Gruby
e-mail: gruby@domain.elided
University of Illinios
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~gruby