Ticket Talk

Here are a couple additions I have to some recent posts about how not to get
caught...

>Other things that attract the attention of law enforcement are weaving in
>and out of traffic and unsafe lane changes.  If you're speeding a bit but
>otherwise driving in a safe manner, and if there is an "accident looking
>for a place to happen" nearby, they will get the attention.

Also, if you are weaving for some reason (we've all "had" to get around that
clot at one time) make sure to signal.
I think signaling goes without saying, but most drivers show me otherwise
(yes, I live in Southern CA).
If you signal, not only are you breaking one less law, you also aren't
being quite *as* wreckless.
A ex-CHP instructed traffic school informed me of this (I was already an
avid signaler as I'm sure are all of you, :^).

>you're usually better off just sitting in the
>fastest lane anyway - you lose more time trying to weave than by staying
>where you are.

As to sitting in the fast lane, many a folk have tipped that the fast lane
is the *worst* place to avoid a ticket.
The previously mentioned traffic instructer confirmed this notion.  He said
that if you are one to speed, your odds of getting noticed are highest in
the fast lane because, hey... it's the fast lane...people go fast there.
His advice, hang out in the middle lanes except to pass.  As for two laners,
always pass and move back over no matter how fast you are traveling and how
many times you need to  move back over.  The instructer mentioned that he
was much more likely not to bother with a speeder if they were following the
rest of the rules and driving other wise responsibly than if they were
acting like they owned the road.

Josh Murray
L.A. Chapter