Re: Dinan Badge Points (was Violet Dinan M3 northbound...)

SMILLER@domain.elided wrote:

> Larry, I couldn't pass this up:
>
> >Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 02:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: "Larry.Cable" <Larry.Cable@domain.elided>
> >Subject: Re: Hello Techno Violet Dinan M3 northbound on US101
> >11.30AM 10/13
> >
> >> Well, I think you should tell us all what happened...I am SO curious.
> >> Dave
> >
> >       Well, without going into the details (since I would get chastised by
> >       by some) I was travelling up 101 (North, around Palo Alto) when
> >       Techno-Violet M3 with a Dinan badge (requires 10 points, which
> >          probably
> >       means a stage III suspension, exhaust, airbox,chip etc etc just like
> >          my
> >       old M3 - without the attention grabbing badge) ...
>
> OK, let me get this straight:  You have to earn POINTS to get a Dinan
> badge?  You can't just go to Dinan and buy some springs or a chip and
> get a Dinan badge?  The next obvious question is, how many $$$$s for
> each point?
>
> Let me think about this for a minute:  I can buy an //M badge from the
> dealer and slap it on just any old car (or truck or tricycle or whatever),
> but to advertise for Mr. Dinan, I have to earn points.  Well, OK, I guess he
> has a performance image to uphold.
>
> Now, kids are already ripping off BMW badges, which anyone can buy
> at the dealer.  Can you imagine the black market for Dinan badges?  After
> all, not just anyone can even get one.
>
> Bimmer owners:  It's 10 PM.  Do you know where your Dinan badge is?
>
> Scott Miller
> Golden Gate Chapter
> BMW CCA #44977

	That's my understanding, when I had my 95 M3 (Jan 96 - Oct 97) you had
	have a total of ten points in order to get a Dinan badge for you car.

	As I recall you "scored" points by adding Dinan mods to the car, for
	example I think the stage III suspension was 5 points, etc etc ... I
	think if you supercharged it you got the badge automatically ...

	I avoided the badge, althgouh I think I had enough points to get one,
	as I thought it attracted the wrong kind of attention ...

	Basically if you see a Dinan badge, the car is significantly modified
	from stock, suspension, exhaust, intake, and most probably an SC ...

	- Larry

- --
 E-Mail: Larry.Cable@domain.elided	 Mail: Laurence P. G. Cable,
					       Java Software,
					       Sun Microsystems Inc.,
					       Mailstop UCUP02-201,
 Phone : 408-343-1776 (x51776)		       901 San Antonio Road
 Fax   : 408-863-3195       		       Palo Alto CA 94043.