Re: ...brake job advice...

Jerry, a friend of mine ran DOT 5 fluid in his 2002 for about 10 years.  He
stopped because 1) it cost more, and 2) it gave the pedal a slightly
mushy feel due to "higher viscosity" (his words).  He said the boiling
point of the DOT 5 wasn't that much higher than the boiling point of DOT 4
fluid.  When he did the change-over, he had to completely flush the brake
system (AND clutch, as most of our cars use the same fluid reservoir for
the hydraulic clutch linkage) with alcohol a couple of times to prevent
possible mixing of the 2 fluids.

Given the success that most track junkies have had with fluids like ATE
Super Blue (DOT 4, I believe), I'm not sure why anyone would want to
switch to DOT 5?  It is more often found in dedicated race cars (yes, I
know there are exceptions to this, but that's what I've heard).

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977