Re: So I over-reved my '95 M3...What now

Kusik, Todd wrote:

> I did the dreaded 3rd to 2nd shift a couple of weeks back (trying to go into
> 4th).  Motor made some bad noises.  Now it will not turn over and steam came
> out.

Sounds like some serious damage, if it won't turn over... maybe broke
off a valve head and cracked the head. Lots of collateral damage
associated with this. Really Bad News.

As a side note, after several years of driving automatics, I've recently
bought a 5 spd. 635 CSi. Having learned to drive sticks on American
2-gate 4 speeds (anyone remember the Hurst T-handle?), the 3-gate 5
speed takes some getting used to.

I found Ben Liaw's page a great help:
http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm. His technique, combined
with a quote from an F1 driver (forget who), about shifting with thumb
and fingers (no ham-fisted grips) has kept me from making the same
mistake. So far.

- -jerry