Re: So I over-reved my '95 M3...What now

umm... bend over...

If the car has steam coming out, and it won't turn over, I would call it a
day for that thing.  You probably spit a valve and cracked the block a bit.
Did the car make it back to your house?

If you can start it, then over rev it for the fun of it. See if you can make
parts of your piston do the following:
A- Eject out of the side of the block, ripping a 4" hole and slicing part of
the exhaust manifold
B- Get piston/valve parts into your air filter!
C- Get piston parts into your tailpipe!

I over-revved my 325is one fine day.  Didn't think a thing of it, smacked
3rd when I meant to get 5th.  I thought I saved it with some quick clutch
work.  A week later, under load in 2nd gear going past 6 grand, it had a
blow up worthy of a Ford/Cosworth F1 engine.  There is still an oil slick on
the ramp from South 101 to East Sand Hill Road.  I have this amazing bag of
parts we found in all the places mentioned above.  Wanna come over and see
what a melted spark plug looks like? It took only about 400ft-lbs of torque
to get it out!  Once you blow up a motor, just have lots of fun taking it
apart and finding out exactly how much you fucked up, sort of an exploratory
thing for your own education.

In the meantime, either start looking for a US M3 motor (try
www.zionsville.com) or call up Turner, PTG or Korman and inquire about a
Euro M3 engine.  I found a Euro engine from a private seller who promised it
came with all the stuff you need.  It cost me $7k.  I got it shipped through
a friend of mine at SonicAir and it came with only the motor.  I needed a
harness, airbox, HFM, computer, fan, fan shroud... all sorts of crap that
was going to cost MUCHO extra.  I sent it back.  I think PTG will throw in a
Euro motor for $25k (brand new), Korman will build you a Speedvision Cup
spec 3.0L motor for $20k and put it into your car.  I don't think it is
worth it really though.  The Euro motors all produce there power way up in
the RPM range, but they do look very trick and make some sweet sounds.  For
the money, I would just throw in a nice US spec motor and do something cool
to it.  Remember, this is a good opportunity to sneek past some MAJOR stuff
to the SO in your life.  Even if the motor you have lived, it is going to
have to be pulled out of the car and have some MAJOR surgery.  Just look on
the bright side and realize that if you play it cool, you could end up with
a significantly faster car!

Greg Koenig
Dinanstein
BMW CCA GGC