aluminum corrosion

Craig wrote

>I recently had several aluminum parts installed under my 95 M3 (a LTW
>Oil Pan and an Alpina diff cover).  I live in Chicago and salt season
>is
>about to start.  I would like to protect these parts from corrosion. >
>am most concerned about the Alpina since it has many fins and a lot >of
<surface are that would be at risk.  Does anybody have any suggestions
>other than just washing the car.
 The great thing about aluminum is that it doesn'corrode. It sometimes
may look it if there is another metal touching it that does corrode, but
aluminum doesn't. >

<snip>

If I am not mistaken I believe aluminum does corrode. It does not rust but salt
will eat it up. I remember seeing aluminum bodies busses in Canada that had
holes in the body panels from the salt eating them. I suppose the only way to
protect your car is to have a thick oil based coating covering the bare metal
parts.

- --

kenny_lam@domain.elided

"If you don't take a chance you don't