Re: E30 traction!

Renato:

This is a common complaint with bimmers, especially older 3-series
(pre auto traction control), which put out a good deal of torque.   I
bet wheel spin often happens on wet roads when you're taking a right
turn at a stop sign, and then step on the gas to merge with traffic,
correct?  It used to happen to me a lot with my old  '79 320i here in
NJ -- in fact the guy I sold it to back in '86 ran it into a tree the
first time he tried to drive it in a rain storm!  My '86 528e doesn't
experience it very much (of course) because it's a much less torquey
engine and a heavier car, and has a limited slip differential.  Newer
cars with the Auto Traction Control are much less prone to the rear
end breaking loose.  Since you've already tried different tires, I
have two other suggestions: first, put some weight in the trunk -- a
50 pound bag of sand or cat litter works wonders, and gives you
something to help get up an icy hill.  Second, if you're up for it,
see if you can find a used limited slip diff for your car (assuming
you don't already have one).  The limited slip diff should help reduce
wheel spin somewhat, though it won't eliminate it completely. One
final thought - you don't say what kind of tires you've tried -- were
they mud & snow tires?

- -Chip Baines
 '86 528e
 '97 328iC
 BMW CCA

>Whenever it rains my tail just whips out.  I
>know you may think I'm driving to fast but that's >definitely not the
case.
>I've tried various brands of tires but nothing seems >to help.  The
winter is right around the corner and >snow tires don't even help.  Do
I have something