Re: E28 Questions

>> JimC chip is the best single performance mod - whatta guy!  Best next
>> is a short shift kit (I'll bet yours is sloppy).  Next would be sway
>> bars, presuming you have ditched the TRX's and have real wheels and tires.

>On the chip, I'm not convinced these really do much.  It MAY help in part
>throttle responce and MIGHT improve idle somewhat, but the M30 engine is so
>torque heavy, the increases the chip gives in performance are almost
>un-measurable in any acceleration test myself or anyone else has done.  The
>tunners do get more hp and torque from these chips, but they don't improve
>top
>end performance.  And unless your car is runnign like new, the other factors
>of age and wear&tear eat up all the gains you get from a chip.  In defense,
>putting in chip and doing the dyno work did point out all the problems in the
>car from wear&tear and aided in the daignosis and subsequent repair.  Plus
>the
>chip forces you to use high octane, I do miss using the regular grades in
>longer non high-perf. driving.  The stock E28 runs great on regular.

Part throttle power increase is substantial. I think high end power is up
somewhat but you do get a few more revs delaying that 2-3 shift well past
60 on those tight merging situations. Also no _need_ to run high octane.
My wife tends to forget and put 85 octane (yes 85 octane here at 5 to
6,000 ft) and it reverts back to stock hp with no running problems. YMMV.
Not sure what Jim has to say about that though.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86