Re: Off-Track Excursions

Mike, that's good advice...

>Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:44:36 -0400
>From: Mike Orth <orthm@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Skid Cars
[major snippage]
>One of the keys to being safe at the track is to KNOW where the limits
>are and the only way to know that is to go over the limits from time to
>time.  Find your limits in a safe environment, drive within them at the
>track......
>
>Mike Orth
>Tarheel Chapter

...except that the way a car feels exceeding the limits at 50 MPH at an
auto-X (been there, done that) isn't always exactly the same way it feels
at the track at 90 or 100 MPH (been there, done that, too).

Training is good.  Practice is good.  Computer programs and skid cars
and all the other stuff we've talked about is good.  We should do these
things.  They will reduce accidents.

But, these things still aren't going to be 100% effective in eliminating
accidents at the track.  Feeling a car lose traction on a skidpad, even in a
skid car, isn't exactly the same as driving off into the dirt.

I would still love to see some training where we can, in a controlled and
safe manner, practice drive off into the dirt.

I guess there is no perfect answer, each of the alternatives has at least
one or more drawbacks.  Oh well...

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
Member, Sears Point Turn 10 Club