Top speed limits in US

I've heard (can't substantiate, so I'll speculate) that it
is partly tires and mostly marketing.  The marketing idea is
that you don't want your 3er outrunning your topoftheline
5er, etc.   Chintzy, to say the least, but understandable
considering the weight we put on numbers (how big,
how fast, how quick, how many, and especially how LONG).

There is also a concern about owners putting on cheaper
tires and compromising the high speed safety of the car,
wrecking, then suing BMW (NA).

I say, let the next of kin sort it out.

 - thi v.