Re: Speed limiters

I think there was an article in a Roundel some time last year that
talked about this.  Bottom line seemed to have to do with insurance
rates, replacement tires, and lawsuits.  It was mentioned that the
powers that be within BMW feel that there's a good chance that enough of
the drivers of their cars will not replace the tires with ones of proper
speed rating (ie, going from Z or V to H or lower).  Now there's the
situation where the car could travel faster than the tires could deal
with, a tire fails, car crashes, idiot driver gets hurt, idiot driver
sues everyone, idiot driver may get millions (at least in the US).  BMW
also detunes their chips because they know there will be people who will
not run good gas in the cars.

This is like the lady who sued McDonalds when she dumped coffee in her
lap and burned herself.  She sued and won.  Go figure... I don't even
drink coffee, and I know that fresh brewed coffee is HOT.  This lady was
a regular customer too.

Anyway, BMW wanted to avoid that situation as well as play some games
with the insurance companies.  GM also did this with their Trans
Ams/Cameros/ Firebirds.  Unless you got the special option package that
included Z rated tires and bigger brakes, you were limited to 112 or 120
(can't remember which).   It seems that cars that can only do 130 or 140
have a lower perceived risk than ones that can go 160.  Any one from the
insurance industry care to comment???

Another possibilty is to maintain the "pecking order" within the BMW
line.  318s should be slower than 325s ect, ect.

That's my .02,
Mike Orth
Tarheel Chapter.