Re: SRS light

Seunghyun Chung writes:

> My SRS light keeps  blinking!
>
> This happened after I disconnected the "orange" wire that connects
> the air bag to the sensor in the engine compartment. I was trying to
> help someone out by jump starting their car. I have been told that one
> should be very careful jump starting another car because the air bag
> could deploy for no reason. I read somewhere that you should disconnect
> the air bag by disconnecting the wires to the sensor in the engine
> compartment before connecting your battery to the dead battery.
>
> Now I can't get the SRS light to go off. I reconnected everything but
> still the warning light keeps blinking.

Well, it sort of helps to identify the year and model of the car - there
are differences.

But in this case, a generic answer should suffice.

Anytime you disconnect wiring in an airbag circuit, and turn on the
ignition at the same time, the circuit records a "fault".

That "fault" condition is what is causing your warning light.

Even after you reconnect the circuit the fault is still retained in
memory - reason is that the circuit is designed to make sure it will
work. It does not know the difference between an "intermittant" fault,
and your manual disconnect/reconnect.

You have to take the car to a BMW service rep to have the fault code
reset - they can only do that by running a diagnostic and then, if all
is OK, the fault code is erased.

I have never heard of disconnecting the air bag sensor when jumping a
car. you should discuss the proper proceedures with your service advisor
(gees, that sounds like a corporate reply - sorry, but only the car's
maker can give you the correct advice on that issue).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada