Subject: Re: E24/28 Intermittent Intermittent Wipers
Author:  bolhuijo@domain.elided at Internet_TCO
Date:    10/14/98 1:54 PM

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Hunt, Reed (CAP, GEFA) wrote:

> This is fairly common on these models (my '85 535i does it too,
> until the wiper motor "warms up").  Past posts and the archives have
> discussed potential causes and solutions, and typically these have
> focused on too much grease in the motor mechanism which causes some
> slippage.  Not very technical, sorry, but the fix seems to involve
> accessing the motor and literally removing some of the grease.
<snip>

 The old grease, which is liberally distributed inside the wiper
gearbox, gets crusty, especially around the electrical contacts that
tell the wiper motor when the wipers are parked.  There is no actual
slippage of the mechanism (unless the internal gear has expired or the
output shaft is poorly attached) in which case the wipers will not
move at all) It's relatively easy to remove the wiper motor, clean it
out, and regrease it.  Indeed, the FAQs cover this topic fairly well.
So get that old unit apart and visit ancient grease for yourself!

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net