SRS light

I was wondering if I can get some advise. I am an owner of 88 635csi
with approxi. 100K on the car. Recently, the SRS light decided to stay
on. Generally, it goes away after 6 seconds once the engine starts.
Maunal says if this stays on I need to go see the dealer. I would like
to gather some information before I take my car into a shop. Could
anyone tell me what might be causing this and how best I can fix this
problem ? I would very much appreciate it.

thank you,

kaz yoshida
Oregon