E30 316i gas odor and other questions

To all those bmw experts out there, I hope someone can shed some light
in these problems, please be aware that I am new to BMW=B4s, this is my
first one, so please bear with me for a while:

I have noticed a strong gas odor in my 1989 E30 316i, particularly in
cold mornings or when the car has been standing for a long while. The
odor goes away after a while, but is very strong. Any ideas ?

By the way, I was recently at the emissions test obligatory two times a
year in Mexico, and failed in the standing still test !!! I think there
should be a relation, no? I have until Nov. 5 to pass this test !!

I have checked in the engine compartment, and there is an unplugged plug
; )  maybe someone knows where it goes ? It is strapped together with
the air hose that goes from the air box to the motor itself. It is
bundled together with another cable that connects to a box just after
the air box, which I think should be something like the airflow meter.
Both come from the motor. Somebody knows where should I plug this ? I
can=B4t seem to find where. Maybe someone with a similar car wants to tak=
a peek in theirs ?

Last but not least, How do I take off the sill plates that hold the
carpet in the door area ? They seem to be attached very hard to the
floor, do I just pull, or is there some other trick or tool ?

Thanks in advance and thanks also to all that have helped before !!

Jose Navarro
Mexico city, Mexico

1989 Euro E30 316i ( 37,000 kms. now... )
1968 Mustang