<E36> Slushbox questions

Fellow enthusiasts,

in my quest for a 92 (or so) 320i I came across a nice 320iA. Now my
experience with Autoboxes is limited to a 66 Mustang and a rented Mustang
convertible (96). So I'm wondering what's the deal vs manuals.

What differences are there in maintenance costs for instance.
Are they more durable?
What to look for when planning a purchase?
Could my theory be right that owners of slushboxes tend to drive less rabid
and thus put less stress on other components as well?
Would a 320i (150 HP) be powerful enough?

Thanks for insights..

Hans
BMW CCA 151318
98 Golf TDi