Re: Stimulator accuracy

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Matthew Yip wrote:

> to spend the $$.  The reality is that while the games are getting more
> realistic, they are still GAMES.  For anyone who has actually spend time
..
> be GAMES.  If you steer violently, the car may yaw slightly but it's
> nothing like the real thing.  Besides, if you wreck your virtual car,

 I won't argue that there's a whole lot of input missing from a
simulation, but not all driving games are as forgiving as you may
think.  Some of these things take driver input very seriously, and a
violent steer will result in more than a little yaw.  Most of the sims
have settings for steering help, anti-skid, ABS, etc.  Try turning
them off and see how hard it is to control the car not only with no
help from your normal sensory input, but also no help from the
computer!  MS Cart precision racing comes to mind - if you turn off
the help, you have almost no chance of controlling the car with the
keyboard, as your only inputs are ALL or NONE.  Go get the demo and
have fun.
 Also, don't overlook the value of getting to know the basic layout of
a track via a mere game.  Some of these things have the major tracks
laid out with great precision.  So don't overestimate the value of a
racing sim, but don't completely write them off either...

- --
  John Bolhuis    | These are no ordinary monkeys --
 bolhuijo         | these are mean, spiteful, butt-biting
  @domain.elided   | monkeys with an obvious mission: conquest.
                                        -tabloid.net