Re: Pain in the Shifter!!!

> I have this reoccurring problem with my shift stick, when ever I pot
>it into reverse it rubs up against the side of the frame.  Because of this
>have gone through 3 shift boots already.  Some people have told me that the
>plastic bushings that are located at the base of the shifter are probably
>worn out.  Is this true?  And if it is true, how hard is it to replace the
>shifter?  Can I go with one of those short shift kits?  Someone help
because
>if I have to buy another shift boot.......

Worn bushings are the cause of a lot of floppiness in my 5-speed - it's like
sailing a foggy sea trying to find gears in that thing.  I can see how a
worn bushing could allow your shifter to rub the frame as you describe.  I
just ordered some replacement bushings from Bavarian Autosport - you don't
have to replace the shifter itself.  A short shift kit will also solve the
problem, since it includes tougher bushings.  Since I just ordered the
bushings, I can't say how much of a job it is to replace them yet.  Maybe
someone else knows, or I can keep you posted when I have a chance to do the
job.

    - Justin
      '83 320i