Re[2]: Stimulator accuracy

I haven't been to any driving schools yet, but I would like to offer this about
Sims from my own experience.

For a couple of years, I was a big fan of the Papyrus Nascar Racing product.
What this experience has done that supports John's comments is build a sort of
track familiarity.  An example of this is, now when I flip on a race at one of
the tracks that were part of the sim, I can recognize what track the race is at
from just a 10-12 sec in-car cam shot.  I'm not a big follower of nascar, but I
really enjoy the physics in the sim, and it was really sort of uncanny how I
could turn on a race, and know exactly where it was, just by checking out the
track.  Then, when I followed the cars around on the TV, I kind of knew what the
driver that I was watching had to contend with at certain parts of the
track(provided the sim acurately represents the real thing, and that was their
big selling point)

A big part of getting good in the sim was familiarizing myself with the track.
Road courses seem especially prone to this.  Once I spent (hours, if not
days)driving pretty slowly around the track, I could start to predict, or
anticipate the next set of course features as I increased my speed.

I am looking forward to my first driving school, and with all this in mind I
anticipate a couple of things for myself.  I will probably be slow for at least
a couple of schools, as I uncover the shortcomings in the car and in my skill.
I will also seek an accurate sim that has the track that the school if possible
to start building track familiarity.  I certainly can't speak from experience,
but I think it might help.

For those of you who are DS veterans, I invite you to try a good sim and then
see if it does anything for you on the track, then let us on the digest know
what you think.  If nothing else, I would expect you would do well in the sim,
having already driven the track in person.

Robb

Robb Salzmann
86 635CSi

"You've gotta put your behind in your past"
- -Pumba