Re: E28 brake job

At 01:33 AM 10/13/98 -0400, Dave wrote:
>A friend and I (he has an 88 535isa) are going to replace the pads and
>rotors on each of our E28's. Need help with the following general
>questions:

Okay.

>1. What about the wheel bearings? Are they replaceable or repackable?

Your cars has a combo bearing/hub assembly.  About an additional 10-15
minutes per side for replacement.  Michel P has a deal for your bearings
(I'm assuming non-ABS) for around $50 per side.  Your frieds will cost
about $80 per side from Michel.  They are not repackable.

>2. Best mail order deals on rotors/pads? The roundel lists so many choices,
>I'd like to hear from fellow netters. Also, any parts or dealers I should
>stay away from? Dealer lurkers (you, Steve G), feel free to submit email
>prices and availability.

Use a Digest member.  I have always gotten the best deals and the
service/advice can't be beat.  The only difference has been that you have
to send a check before they will send the parts.  A small price to pay.
Michel, Steve G. or Jason Lile can serve you well (sorry if I have
forgotten anyone else).

>3.Any other thoughts on easy things to do while we replace the brakes?
>Obviously, a fluid flush is in the works. I'd love to hear from netters on
>a cheap and easy bleeding method/parts.

If you have the ducks, replace your rubber brake lines with some braided
steel DOT ones.  Around another $100.  Also use DOT 5 fluid...and make sure
the old fluid is all gone.  DOT 3 and DOT 5 don't like each other.

>It seems like a straight-forward job, plus I have a factory repair manual.
>If it's any more difficult, do advise.

It is.  You should have both cars finished in an afternoon, even if you
change lines and bearings.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5