Power Steering on a Baby Six e21

An 80 320/6 with Power Steering came in this week, so guess who's car is
getting upgraded? :)  :)  :)  :)  My questions come in regard to the area of
"variable assistance" in such a system.

1) My understanding is that in these early cars, the system was always at 100%
Yes, No?

2) The variability in later cars, such as the e30, is provided by a clutch at
the power steering pump itself.  Yes, no?

3) If # 2 is correct, AND, in light of the block of the 6 cylindered e21 and
e30 being identical, I should be able to integrate an e30 PS pump and have an
e21 with variable assistance power steering.  Yes, no?

MANY, MANY thanks in advance to your collective wisdom :-)

Julian Osante
  <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/osbmw/";>OS BMW</A>