Re: need help on comparing E21/E28 to E30

Aldrin writes

>Hi everyone,
>
>I was just planning on buying a e21 323i when I read certain comments on
>the E21 being the worst handling BMW ever.
>Someone even called them widowmakers

Don't believe everything you hear.  There is nothing wrong with the handling
of an e21.  It is not the best, but it is better than most other cars on
the road.

>I've also heard that the E21's wheel-offset is a little odd too.
>I still have the 16 inch Alpina's left from my '90 325i. Do you think
>they will fit a E21 ?
>They are 7J en 8J wide.
>
>Please say it is so.

The offset for the e21 is quite different from the e30.  I am running
15x7 rims with an offset of et13.  I also have a set of Alpina 13x6 and
13x6.5 rims with offsets of et12 and et6.5 respectively.  A guy I know
is using a set of Hartge 16x7.5 rims (et25) on his e21 and is forced
to use ~13 mm spacers to get them to fit.

Hope this helps a little.  I can't comment on the maintenance costs of
an e21 compared to an e30 as I've never owned an e30.  It has been
cheaper than my tii, no doubt due to the age difference.

Ed Walker
'80 323i
'72 tii