<E30> mysterious sqeal

Today after driving between Denver and Colo. Springs at a sustained 85
pushing 100 mph sometimes, I discovered a disconcerting new sqeal.  It
occurs occasionally when letting the clutch out in first gear, but not
in second or when declutching/reclutching first.  It sounds a bit like
a belt sqeal, but higher in pitch.  It also doesn't occur when revving
the engine in neutral (clutch out or in).

What is this noise?  Is it harbinger of bad clutch/tranny problems?  I
haven't noticed it before, so I'm a little concerned.

TIA.

   KC Boyce
   '85 325e
   E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/