<BMW> Age Discrimination @ Habberstad BMW

I'm sorry to have to be sharing this with you but I'm very upset about what
happened to my brother and I at Habberstad BMW on Jericho Turnpike in
Huntington Station, NY today.  My brother is in the market for a used 3
series BMW, preferably a 95 M3.  We chose to visit Habberstad because they
had a large number of used cars listed on their web page.  I've been to a
number of BMW dealers before both while looking for my car and my parents'
cars.  During all of these instances I've been treated with the respect
that anyone deserves.  I didn't expect what happened today.

When we first arrived at the dealership, we walked around the lot to see
what was available.  Having found a few cars that we were interested in, we
went inside to talk to a salesperson.  While inside, no one came up to us
and asked to be of service.  I was a little surprised but not upset because
we were checking out the new 3's.  Finally, somebody approached us and
asked if we needed help.  I explained that we were looking for a used 3.
The salesperson directed us to the person in charge of used car sales.
Since he was just finishing up with some folks I had no problem waiting.
After he was done, I told him that we were interested in looking at a used
M3.  He said to wait a moment.  He set 2 other customers up on
unaccompanied test drives and returned.  I again stated that we were
interested in looking at a car and getting a test drive.  In a
condescending tone told us about some of the offerings.  He then told us to
decide which car we'd like to drive while he dealt with another customer.
We again took a look at the cars and decided that a 95 Avus Blue M3 looked
the best.  We proceeded to wait around while he showed another customer
inside a number of used cars.  At this point we had been at the dealer for
almost 45 minutes without being properly serviced.  I probably would have
left but my brother was interested in getting a car and would only be here
until Tuesday.  When the salesperson finished with this customer, I again
had to approach him.  He clearly had no interest in helping us.  I told him
that we were interested in driving a particular car.  The man wouldn't even
take us out to see it.  He immediately brought up price and wanted to know
if we could buy the car then and there.  I told him that we would like to
see the car first and drive it before we made any decision on price.  He
wouldn't hear it.  He told us that we could come back some other time to
see the car.  We asked if we could see it now.  He told us to comeback in 2
hours.  We couldn't believe it.  Having waited to meet with this man for
almost an hour he tells us to come back later?  At that point we got up and
left.  If a test drive was unavailable, why didn't he tell us the first
time we asked and save 1/2 hour of our time?

Having stood through his dealings with 4 other customers we could see a
radical difference in treatment.  He was glad to give other customers test
drives and to show them cars but he would hardly talk with us.
Furthermore, he didn't begin talking with other customers about price nor
ask them to come back another time.  He asked other customers for their
names and numbers to follow up but didn't ask ours.  He didn't even have
the courtesy to tell us his name.  Did he think that we couldn't afford the
car?  Frankly, my brother was prepared to purchase an M3 for cash.  The
only thing that I can figure is that we were treated poorly due to our age.
 We're both in our early twenties.  I can't believe that a salesperson
would deal with customers in this fashion.  As a result, Habberstad has
lost the business of my family and friends forever.

I hope that you will reconsider doing business with a dealer that treats
fellow BMW enthusiasts so poorly.

Douglas P. Regulinski
dpr2@domain.elided
'91 325i
- --
Douglas P. Regulinski
dpr2@domain.elided

"The main function of economists is to give astrologers credibility."
                          - Cameron Galway