My new M3 & Sears Point (longish)

Well, I've finally been able to wipe the stupid grin off my face long
enough to write up a few details of my recent driver's school at Sears
Point in the recently acquired M3/4. This was my fourth school, but first
in the M3. Previous schools were in the 328is.

I had a BLAST. I had a great instructor (Dan Tackett from San Diego). He &
I worked so well together on Sat, that I asked that we stay together for
Sun (usually you get a new instructor on Sun). I was in the "C", or Low
Intermediate, group. The first few sessions on Sat I spent getting
comfortable with the new car and a new track, getting familiar with my
visual cues for turn in, apex, etc. Once Dan felt I was consistent with
those things, we started building on that, one item at a time; downshifting
from 4th to 2nd in turn 11, giving the car more throttle out of turn 2, and
a few other things. Dan really seemed to know when I was ready for the next
step, not pushing me beyond where I felt comfortable, but ready to move up
the learning curve.

Sunday was a day to build on all of that. Continuing with the consistency
and picking up where we left off on Sat. Then continuing to build speed -
full throttle (or as close as I was willing to go :-)) thru turn 1 up the
hill to turn 2, full throttle out of 4 thru 5 and up the crest leading to
turn 6, full throttle out of 6 leading to 7. The car responded BEAUTIFULLY
- - and I wasn't too bad either :-)

After my third session on Sun, Dan was willing to sign me off to go solo
(woohoo). I asked him stay with me for the last session, however. This was
the best session of the weekend! I was putting all the pieces together. I
was consistently getting the "pass" signal from cars in front of me,
including a LTW! At the end of the session, Dan mentioned he was going to
recommend I move up to "B" group, High Intermediate, for the next school.
Wow! I'm not sure I'm really ready, but I know the car is. :-)

Sears Point is a very "busy" track, without a real straight-away where you
can kind of catch your breath for a moment before getting ready for the
next go-around. The last two sessions on Sunday, I was really working hard,
and was very tired at the end of the day.

But I had a great time with great people, and was even able to share a bit
of it with my wife, as she got a few laps with Dan in his NSX.

My thanks to the volunteers, instructors, organizers, and everyone else who
made this school a fun and enjoyable one for me.

Cheers,
Jim Bassett
Walnut Creek, CA
1998 M3/4 - feeling right at home on the track
BMW CCA #131681

End of bmw-digest V9 #285