Re: Duane's comments on crash #3 and Mustang brakes

Bubba Duane writes..

> * Crash # 3: I was instructing Jim Hudson from New Mexico in his E30 325.
> He was cutting a good, quick path around the course, but was frustrated by
> an E36 325i that would give him a pass wave and then speed up on the
> straight and hold him to the outside.  He simply didn't have enough power
> to get around.......<snip>

This is the sort of thing that I seeing more and more at the track and
it's got to stop before someone really gets hurt.  The driver of the car
being passed needs to lift off the throttle for a moment to let the
other car by.  I've never been to an event run by the track so I don't
know what they say at the drivers meetings, but at events run by BMW
CCA, PCA, or Car Guys, it's made fairly clear that the driver that is
being passed is to lift so that the other car can get by.  Failure to do
so tends to lead to a black flag.  I've got some great video of  2 cars
going into turn 10 at Summit Point side by side.  Both drivers were
lucky in that case.  No one bent anything.

The rule is simple:  If there's a car on your back bumper that was not
there a lap ago, he/she is running faster laps than you.  Swallow your
pride and let them by.  They will be gone in a couple of corners and
will have left you in the dust.  Try to keep up with them, maybe you'll
find out where you are going slower.....

As for Mustang Cobra brakes, yes they need work.   A friend of mine
nearly crashed his at the Jefferson circut a few weeks ago when they
failed.  Turns out that BOTH front brake hoses failed when he was
braking for turn 4 (going clockwise).  The hoses pulled out of their
fittings at the caliper.  Once safely in the pits, he was asked what GOD
looked like.  After soing some more research, it turns out that this a
known problem (YIKES).  Watch those mirrors boy and girls....
The objects behind you may not have brakes..

Mike Orth
Tarheel Chapter