Re: [pb] paint question

- -----

>a net-impaired BMWCCA club member has asked me to find some
>information on the following topic. his '89 E34 5series is beginning
>to develop some cracking in the clearcoat. the color of the paint is
>salmon silver. the car has always been garaged, and is detailed twice
>a year.
>
>1. is this a common problem?

Usually only seen on metallic silver cars that are not garaged.  The sun
really beats the shit out of this colour.

>2. what can be done?

If it is only the clearcoat, a good body shop can cut off the clear coat and
respray clear only, not touching the base coat.

>3. if a respray is needed, can the color be reproduced?

Absolutely.

>4. bodyshop recommendations in the northern virginia area?

Duane, who did the bambi slayer ?  That has to be one of the best paint jobs
I ever saw on such a low quality vehicle :-)

///K Brett