re: need a new ride

Reid Responds to '95 525i temptation:

>I am sorely tempted. However, the USD 10K gift giver wants me to get
>an almost/new car, witout payments. It's free $10k, with somewhat
>flexable stings attached. Also a 1995 is most certainly out of
warentee.

>I am leaning towards a VW Cabrio at this time, I drove one this
>morning and, well, I like German (Mexican?) cars. Also, here in North
>Carolina, I can have the top down 8 months of the year.

Here's my $0.02 for you.  First of all, John is right!  You don't want
to buy new if you're gonna turn it over in a year.  You'll lose half
that $10k gift in depreciation.

Secondly, VW's are a great choice.  I love 'em.  However, I would
recommend you try to find a '97 VR6 engined car (Jetta, Golf).  You
should be able to find one for about $18K and lose almost nothing on it
(except interest) over a year of ownership.  For the money (IMO), these
cars offer great performance (172 seamless HP) and that "German Feel".
Besides, at least down here in Florida, the Cabrio is pretty much looked
at as a cutsie "girl's" car.  My wife has a '97 and although it's a very
fun car, it feels kinda funny driving it when all the boys try to catch
up to you just to check out who might be driving it.

Just my thoughts on the subject FWIW.  Good Luck.

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 - Fikse'd, BL/SS, Sharked, ES Exhaust, X'd...
'97 VW Cabrio