CA Relaxes MTBE Requirement

The Contra Costa (CA) Times ran an article last Friday that the
California Air Resources Board (CARB - interesting acronym for an
organization that helped force automakers to stop using them) "scuttled
a requirement that Bay Area refineries during winter months add MTBE or
other chemicals called oxygenates to gasoline."  It says Chevron's
Richmond refinery will stop blending MTBE in it's regular grade gasoline
"within days or weeks.  It will remain in premium gasoline."

It goes on to say, "Gasoline must still meet federal and state pollution
and performance standards, but Chevron says it meets those criteria
without MTBE - at least for regular grades."

A Chevron spokesperson applauds the fact that it gives gas makers some
flexibility without requiring additives.  The new rule is only
applicable in the S.F. Bay Area, but not in the Los Angeles or
Sacramento areas.  They can do this because:  1)  "...the region's air
no longer violates health standards for carbon monoxide, the target of
the winter oxygenate rule imposed in 1992."  2)  "...state officials are
eager to give refineries more flexibility to make gasoline without the
problems associated with MTBE, a suspected cancer-causing substance."
MTBE has been found in "more than 10,000 California ground water
sites..."

The article says that other refiners haven't yet decided if they will
make a change.  Finally, "U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has
sponsored a bill to do away with federal requirements to use MTBE or
similar chemicals in highly polluted areas, such as Los Angeles.  The
bill, however, has run into opposition in Congress."

I seem to remember, during our last MTBE discussion on the Digest, that
someone who knew the laws said that MTBE is not specifically required by
law, but it is simply the oxygenate of choice for may refiners, who
manufacture it out of a former refining waste product.

When MTBE was first introduced in non-wintertime gasolines, reported
problems included reduction in performance and gas mileage, and leaks
from seals and hoses made from certain materials (can't remember what
they were).  It didn't seem to affect my E30 325i, but my Ford Ranger
V-6 just happened to develop hard warm starting problems when MTBE was
introduced.  I won't know if this new change makes a difference because
1) I sold the Ranger, and 2) the change is a wintertime change only, and
my Ranger problems started with MTBE use in the summertime.  But, over
next month or so, if any of you Bimmer owners (gratuitous BMW content)
who use regular Chevron gas in the Bay Area notice any differences, be
sure to let us know.  (There must be at least one or two of you.)

OK, enough gasoline news for now, back to the usual flame wars and
Bimmer blather.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977