<E36, M3> service interval lites and related question

Hi everybody,
      Although I am sure this has been discussed on the digest, would some
one please
tell me the theory of operation on these interval service lights and how one
can reset
these (besides going to the dealer), I do not know what percentage of you
actually work
on you cars, but I enjoy doing the little that I can. I hate to take the car
to dealer
everytime it needs an oil change (you get the picture ...)

P.S> how about those inspection lights ...

Arman Nikzad
1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD
1997 M3/4

arman_nikzad@domain.elided