RE: Updating DME via WinCE+Palmtop

Jim,

>> If he was.. I'd sell short on Dinan stock.. the process is not something to
>> be handed off to end users with no training...

I believe with good programming and good online help/tutor - software can be used by
anyone!

>> If this is the case, is the software Windows CE-based or what?
> Yes, and it's a poor choice.. selected most likely due to a myriad of
> factors like cost and perceived copy-protection.. or maybe due to the
> fact that I publicly blabbed to all who would listen that I was planning
> WinCE device.. which I really wasn't (hey, it's called counterintelligence ;)

> In reality, a lot of WinCE serial ports are not stable enough for the
> purpose.. My programmer runs on any Win95/98 PC with a 9 pin serial port
> and was first demonstrated lice

WinCE is a subset of Win95/98 without the crap!  WinCE was designed so mobile users can
run a lean windows operating system without the power.  Palmtops with WinCE do the Job.
As for WinCE serial ports not being stable - ha!  I have users where they are
transferring files of 5Mg in size via modem every nite with 33.6 modems with 98% success.
 Most problems/failures are due to bad lines.

Software designed for WinCE can also be recompiled for Win95/98, therefore allowing the
software to have more flexibility with different environmonts.  I kinda like the idea of
using a mobile unit (palmtop) with a lean windows, and battery life from 6-12 hours.  As
for a notebook, 5 times heavier, 2hour battery life - it will still do the job, but
clunkier for the dealer - ok for the end user!

Later...
Sergio Mastronardi
Hand Held Computers
E36/320i/93/6Cyl/Cdn-Euro Spec