Re: Flipping Diesel-maybe not!

Hi gang,

All this talk of diesel badges got me thinking: it's not common, but I have
seen the odd E34 M5 with a 518i badge on it. Either that or it was a 518i
with several thousand pounds' worth of OE Motorsport goodies (airdams,
wheels, silencers, suspension, bloody big engine that sounds exactly like
an M5, interior trim etc.). I have seen an M3 convertible with a 318i badge
on it recently, and I remember reading once that BMW actually considered a
turbodiesel-powered convertible not long ago (so "325tds" on the back of a
ragtop could have been a reality). Not as daft as it sounds, and VW for a
while actually sold a turbodiesel version of the Golf cabriolet. When the
2.5 tds engine came out it was smoother and quieter than a lot of
contemporary petrol engines, and certainly powerful enough (the sedan
tested to be about as fast as a 320i).

I can't imagine many buyers retaining the badging though.

Roll on the six-pot E46 330d, if they ever make it (the world's first
genuine, stock 150 mph diesel motor?). Would be interesting. Also BMW has
got a 4.something litre V8 diesel under wraps somewhere, to fight the 4.3
litre V8 oil-burner from the Stuttgart diesel taxi manufacturer, OK
Mercedes, sorry, which is already on sale in Europe I believe. I can't wait
for the day that aftermarket tuners start tweaking and overboring diesel
motors - an easy way to get 300-400 lb-ft, although I'm sure there would be
longevity issues.

Regards

Andrew T
'95 318i (The bodyshop left the 's' off... fools)

                                  n n n n