RE: Lousy gas mileage

My first guess would be based on your previous M5 and your 911 porsche, you
might be driving this car like its a sports car, very fast and hard!  You
can imagine how that can hurt your mileage.  The second thing is, don't use
your computer to calculate your overall mileage.  Just every time you fill
up with gas reset your odometer.  Then next time you fill up, see exactly
how many miles you went, and how many gallons it takes to fill up the tank.
 Then with a simple math problem you are getting the correct overall
mileage.  I like to use the computer just to calculate how i'm doing on a
certain stretch of road at a steady speed.  Like on the highway use the
computer to get exactly highway mileage and set it once you hit cruising
speed.  Just my 2 cents.

>I have owned my 95 740i for only 2 months, and have been averaging only
>11-12 miles per gallon in the city, and 13.4 overall city and highway
>combined, using the 89 gas that's required for the car.  I don't get it...
>I thought that the mileage would be alot higher, as the manual shows much
>higher gas mileage.  Could my computer be off by that much?  Or is there
>something else going wrong?  It does seem to require fill ups QUITE often!
>Any other 740i owner out there experiencing the same atrocious mileage?
>
>BTW, I first thought that the car was way to big for me, and thought the
>seats to be totally unsupportive (compared to my old 91 M5!), but now have
>"gotten with the program" and realize that I'm in a luxo-cruiser, not a
>sports sedan, and am appreciating the car in a whole new way.  Driving to
>Maine on Friday from Maryland and am looking forward to the long haul, and
>the fact that I can stuff 2 sets of backpacks and gear in that monstrous
>trunk!
>
>Steve
>1995 740 Aspen Silver 62K miles
>1988 911 Carrera Venetian Blue 56K miles

Michael Gruby
e-mail: gruby@domain.elided
University of Illinios
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~gruby