Re: 5er in France

Dan Guliano gets a quick lesson in Euro motoring

>Traveling along the A4 at 180 kph in a Rover 600 diesel, foot to the floor
>and downhill, I look in the rearview mirror and see a rapidly, really
>rapidly approaching black E39 5er. It screams by me and I look at the model
>number - IT'S A FLIPPIN DIESEL ! ! !  ! doing 150 miles per hour...........

Dan it could have been even faster, there's a 530d in preparation, not
150mph but 140, so it can do some serious travelling. Apparently the engine
has common rail injection and produces 184 bhp with a mountain of torque
(287 lb ft). If you can put up with not being able to rev above 5k it's a
good proposition. Some say the engine could be offered in the E46.

Then again the car you saw could have been a 540 with TDS badge... now who
would do a thing like that?  :-^)

Nick Brearley