Re: <E36> climate controls

John Jensen asked:

> Is it possible to change the dial-style climate control unit to the
> digital type?
>
> My 95 M3 has the dials but I think the digital type was an option on
> '95 3ers.

Jason Lile replied:

> It's not really an option, but was phased into regular production in the 95
> model year.  I remember someone (John F.?) posting some numbers for a retro
> kit once.  I believe the price was somewhere in the $2000 range from BMW.

No, I was not the one who posted part numbers.  I know there are
kits costing about that much to add an air conditioner to a car that
did not come with one.  The last couple years A/C has become a popular
option in Germany and the great majority of used cars don't have it,
at least up north.

Glancing at the ETM schematics, I think there might be a fair amount
of work converting an analog dial system (IHKR) to a digital button
system (IHKA).  Even mundane signals common to both get wired
differently.  But perhaps like retrofitting an OBC, the job is easier
than it might first appear. :)

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided