Reply: Money to Spend

Hi, Franklin, in case you haven't seen this in past Digest postings, I
thought I'd throw in my recommendations:

>Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 19:54:14 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
>From: Franklin Joseph <frj751s@domain.elided>
>Subject: Money to Spend
>
>Hi
>i just got my money in and i have $1000 to spend on my car (E30 M3)
>Where sould the money go???????
>
>1) Alpha N
>2) MAF by split second
>3) 296 cams with new springs and guides (regrind) maybe some head
>work
>4) Cross drilled rotors with new pads
>5) Sway bars and strut brace
>6) 4-1 race header custom made
>7) 17" wheels
>8) Your own recommendation
>
>i already have all the basic bolt on goodies.
>I also can tolerate any difficult driving conditions as a daily driver as
>i am runnig coilovers on my car at 450 front and 550 rear and it is not
>bad for me.
>thanks for the help.
>
>Franklin
>89 M3

Here's how you should spend the money:

1.  Drivers' School.
2.  Drivers' School.
3.  Drivers' School.
4.  Drivers' School.

This is based on the theory that you should improve the "nut holding the
wheel" (see recent Digest posts on discussion of the various versions
of this phrase).

Note:  #4 depends on how much they charge for Drivers' Schools in your
neck of the woods.  You may only have enough $$ for the first 3.  In
which case, you should borrow the rest for #4.

OTOH, if you're already attending all the schools you can, I would have
to ask:  What needs more improvement, speed/acceleration, braking, or
cornering?

Speed/Acceleration:  How about the Euro Evo intake stuff?  You can get
a Jim C chip programmed to work with it.  Recent Digest comments on the
suitability of the "Alpha N" or "MAF by split second"  mods leads me to
believe that these may not be suitable for street cars.  At least, this
would not be my first choice.

Cornering:  If you're running stock sway bars, upgrade these.  The strut
braces don't do that much, but if you're looking for the last little bit of lap
time, sure, go ahead.  (Advice on strut braces stolen from a Steve Dinan
presentation from about 8 years ago.)  You could do the wheels and
tires, but that would eat up all  of your $1K (or more!).

Braking:  Cross-drilled rotors(except ones cast with the holes already in
them) tend to develop cracks between the drilled holes.  I'd go with
carbon fiber pads and some duct work.  If you want better rotors, the
grooved type are less prone to problems.  Try the ATE Power Disks.

All of my comments on mods assume that you are already capable of
driving your car at it's limits.  If you can't do that yet, why make the car
faster?  Just go back and re-read my suggestions # 1-4.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid which I certainly can't drive at it's limits - yet