Re: US warranty in Europe???

George Boudreau writes:

> ... If we buy a new US spec BMW oversees, we only receive
> a 1 year warranty - and we still pay for all inspections. When I bought my
> car in 1995, I was stationed in England and opted to purchase the 2 year
> extended warranty BMWGB was offering. I think England is the only European
> country that offers any kind of extended warranty

In Germany, you can also extend a new car warranty to two years for a
few hundred marks.  After that, within the first three years after the
purchase, there is the Kulanz.  This is a good will or fair deal
arrangement with BMW in which they split the costs to repair failures
due to material, manufacturing or engineering defects. I expect
something similar applies elsewhere in Europe.  As an example, I had a
rear shock absorber fail prematurely at about 50 000 km. I paid for
their replacement and my dealer sent information about the repair to
Munich.  About a month later, BMW issued me a credit for the
replacement parts after they had determined the originals were likely
to have been substandard.  I still had to pay the dealership for their
labor, however.

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided