Oil Ch-Ch-Changes

Hey what's happening?

Well thanks to all the enlightening, interesting Digest information that I
am, uh, digesting, I decided to check on oil changes and synthetics for my
'97 328i. I called up my local BMW dealer, Laurel Motors, and asked if they
used synthetic oil for scheduled maintenance oil changes. First they said
it was an option, and I could pay the difference if I wanted to (~$25).  I
mentioned that I heard BMW would reimburse the dealer for it and some
dealers didn't charge extra for synthetic oil.  The fellow checked and said
that was true on '97s and more recent cars.  So I can choose between
Castrol Synthetic and BMW synthetic for my scheduled oil changes if I want
to.  Sounds good to me.

So my questions are: (1) My car has 9,000 miles and recently had its first
scheduled oil change.  I think there is no harm in switching to synthetic
at this early stage.  Right?  (2) I think I should choose Castrol
synthetic, because I can buy it myself and do every other oil change
(around 4,000 miles) myself using the Castrol Syntech.  Right?  (3) If I
use a synthetic oil, is it overkill to change every 4,000-4,500 miles?  (4)
Do people (you!) believe that Castrol Syntech is significantly less good
than Mobil 1, the Jim C. of motor oils?

BTW, I doubt I will ever track my 4DR, automatic 3 Series, but I would like
to own it a long time if it continues to be as nice a car as it is now.
Thanks for the opinions.

Donn
'97 328i - currently drinking dyno juice
'89 911 - my occasional track car
'93 Camry - equally ill at ease on track or road

Donn York
Treasurer, The Interlake Corporation
(630) 719-7247