Re: E28 Gauge Panel/How To Relocate Lighter? **Rob

Reed Hunt  <Reed.Hunt@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: E28 Gauge Panel/How To Relocate Lighter?
>
>Earlier this year I purchased a carbon fiber gauge panel from Bill Yates (a
>nice piece from a Digest member, BTW).  I am getting closer to installing
it
>and am looking for suggestions on how/where to relocate my cigarette
>lighter.  Bill gave me some ideas and I thought I would also tap the
>collective wisdom contained herein.  I am a non-smoker but want to retain
>the lighter to power my cell phone when the battery is low.

        I've seen a very sano-looking relocation (for the very same reason)
of the lighter to the "blank" panel to the right of the radio.  I'm not sure
if it was done with the original lighter socket (designed to be molded/glued
into the original panel) or some aftermarket generic socket.  I suppose if
you've replaced your original radio with an aftermarket unit that you could
put the hole on the other side of the radio and get rid of the useless fader
dial.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo