re: E34 Guage Problems

>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:49:17 -0500
>From: "Gary Zimmerman" <yoda@domain.elided>
>Subject: E34 Guage Problems

>Gary wrote:
>Has anyone had problems with their E34 guages?  I have 89 535i which
>has a
>funny guage problem, but I hope it has a simple fix.  My gas guage,
>temp
>guage, service indication lights and computer does not come on when I
>start
>the car.  The computer by the radio works fine.  I have to drive it a
>few
>miles before it comes on, showing to fasten seat belts and service
>indicator
>lights, my miles and trip miles gas, temp and vacuum (mileage)guage
>comes on
>at the same time.  The trip is always set to 0000, but the miles are
>right.
>Sometimes it stays on and sometimes it goes out and then come back on
>when
>driving.  I have noticed that when I have the lights on,  the service
>indicator area lights up when I hit the brakes when I am waiting for
>it to
>come on.

>Thanks in advance.

>Gary Zimmerman

>98 528i Sport Package
>95 ///M3 Chipped
>89 535i Chipped, Dinan suspension

Gary,
All of the guages died on my '5er.  I pulled the instrument cluster out
and troubleshot the problem down to an electrolytic capacitor near the
power input.  If I remember correctly, it was a 15 volt, 220uf
capacitor.  I had one on hand at work so this fix didn't cost me a cent.
I was one happy camper!  Good luck!

Chuck MacWilliam
'92 525i
'85 325e