Re: bmw-digest V9 #227

<<
 Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:24:05 -0600
 From: "Rob" <motor@domain.elided>
 Subject: Magnecor vs Nology vs Stock wires

     Has anyone ever tested all these wires back to back on a dyno??  Do any
 of them actaully make a difference in power or driveability ,assuming the
 O.E wires are in good condition?
  I'm not a geezer who is against modification *but* unlike suspensions that
 can't be made too stiff ,exhausts that can't bee too loud,brakes that take
 too long to heat up ,etc for the general public , I don't really see why or
 how the factory would have and compromises built into the stock wires?!?.
 The Magnecor site (www.magnecor.com) does an excellent job of explaining in
 detail why the Nology wires are a hoax,but even Magnecor says that an
 aftermarket plug wire doesn't really offer any performance increase.

 Just a thought...

 Rob

Here's the thing Rob:
No matter what anyone tells you about 700,000,000,000 volt ignition systems
the plugs are going to arc at say 30,00 to 50,000 volts.  ONCE THEY ARC THE
VOLTAGE STOPS RAISING.  The voltage will only raise up IF it can't go to
ground.  At normal plug gaps even under boost or forced induction the plugs
arc to ground at that kind of voltage.

Think of it as a radiator hose, you can put one on your car that will take 250
psi, but you're not going to see a performance inprovement.  As long as your
factory hose can take say 50psi you're in business. Putting a hose on the car
that can take 250psi won't be a benifit.

Christopher