Re:People wioth balls want racks

<<
 Date: 28 Sep 98 15:49:05 PDT
 From: SMILLER@domain.elided
 Subject: E30 Steering Racks - What's Up With That?

 << Bimmers prior to the E30 had a recirculating ball steering box.  I never
 heard anyone say they had real problems with these units.  At least, the
 failure rate was nowhere near as bad as the rack and pinion units in the
 E30s.

 So why did BMW switch to rack and pinion steering?  Is it lighter weight?
  Packaging efficiency?  The owner of a rack and pinion factory married
 into the family?  What's up with that?

 Inquiring minds want to know why we don't just go back to the good old
 days of recirculating ball steering?

 Scott Miller
 Golden Gate Chapter
 BMW CCA #44977
 1990 325i/is hybrid that's gonna need a new rack one day, I can just feel
 it... >>

The reason BMW went to rack and pinion is for the superior feel and weight
efficiency.  The old steering boxes were less precise.  I was shocked when I
found my M635 had a box,  figured they went out with '55 Chevys. Guess I was
spoiled by Porsches - Naaaa

Christopher