E34 Guage Problems

Has anyone had problems with their E34 guages?  I have 89 535i which has a
funny guage problem, but I hope it has a simple fix.  My gas guage, temp
guage, service indication lights and computer does not come on when I start
the car.  The computer by the radio works fine.  I have to drive it a few
miles before it comes on, showing to fasten seat belts and service indicator
lights, my miles and trip miles gas, temp and vacuum (mileage)guage comes on
at the same time.  The trip is always set to 0000, but the miles are right.
Sometimes it stays on and sometimes it goes out and then come back on when
driving.  I have noticed that when I have the lights on,  the service
indicator area lights up when I hit the brakes when I am waiting for it to
come on.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Zimmerman

98 528i Sport Package