FW: HELP!! E30 M3 overheating!!

> 	When my car is stuck in traffic, the water temp. rises to
> the 3/4 mark and sometimes touches the red segment, the electric
> fan will operate and the temp will settle back to just below 3/4
> mark again, it will just vary within this range while the engine
> is running. I can remember it used to be just below the 1/2 mark.
> It does not loose any coolant. Any help will be much appreciated.

Ken,
	I bet your auxiliary cooling fan (the one in front of the radiator)
resistor is shot. It's either a black metallic or dirty white ceramic 1x1x3"
thing attached to the auxiliary fan at about 4 o'clock position. It is held
in place by two tiny Phillips screws that have the tendency to corrode
making it a real PITA to replace the resistor (might have to take the fan
out - see Bentley).
	The resistor ($20) dies frequently. Sometimes its death is caused by
failing bearing in the auxiliary fan itself ($300).
	At sub red zone cooling fluid temperatures, the voltage to the
auxiliary fan is send through the resistor. This keeps the fan running at a
lower speed. At red zone temperatures the resistor is bypassed which runs
the fan at max speed. If your resistor is shot the fan will only operate at
max speed when the temperature is approaching red (not good). See your
Bentley manual for simple voltmeter tests to diagnose your problem further.

	Some people suggest hard wiring the fan to run it at all times. To
prolong the auxiliary fan life you want to start it at low speed first
before spinning up to max speed. So hard wiring the fan is not necessarily
optimal.

good luck,
alex

> 		Regards
>
> 		Ken
> 		92 E30 M3

I didn't know E30 M3's were produced in '92. Or is that just the purchase
date?