Re: theft proofing (resisting) a 750

>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:57:49 -0500
>From: RangeR BoB <samurai@domain.elided>
>Subject: theft proofing (resisting) a 750
>
>My '89 750 does the normal double lock thing, which lights up the nifty
>LED on the dash.  I was wondering if it is possible to add a simple
>alarm to the car, too, and what model or brand anyone would recommend to
>add, and if there is wiring built in to the car as it is accomodate this
>modification.

Bob, not sure about 88-89 models, but my '90 750iL has a standard alarm on
it. I thought all E32 750's had it though. It engages automatically if you
use the double lock feature on the car (but not on single locking), or if
you use the remote. (which is a rather bulky gadget by today's standards,
about $150 or so from the dealer who will have to special order it for you)
It operates much like a switch-blade... has a pop-out key (which is
optional) and the lock/unlock feature (that has the alarm). A very nice tool
to have, but you'll probably want to keep it in your coat pocket. It has no
way to attach it to a keychain. If you bought your car used, then it was
most likely lost/broken somewhere along the way. The owners manual tells you
how to initialize it once you get a new one. You can have multiple (up to 4)
remotes for one car! I was surprised when the person at the dealer had no
clue how to initialize the remote. They told me that would cost extra! I
laughed when I pulled out the book and it mapped out the entire procedure.
Takes about 1 minute to do.

Regards,

John

1990 750iL